When designing your bedroom, consider how using colour, pattern and texture can add interest and personality to that builder special box of a bedroom space. A feature wall is the perfect starting point to anchor the bed, helping to make the space reflect your needs, whether you want it to feel larger or to be a cosy getaway spot.
5 ways to add personality to your bedroom design
1. Travel is one of the biggest inspirations around. How many times do we fall in love with a tailored space and a good late check-out in a boutique hotel to capture a few more snoozes in a seamless hotel room. With a bit of an investment, you can really make a style statement by creating a feature wall with a built-in headboard, tactile upholstery, integrated lighting and seamless storage. It’s a worthy investment that can really transform any standard builder bedroom box into a tailored, tranquil custom space fit for any world traveller.
2. Add some texture! Make a feature of the wall by playing with textures such as wood. The wall doesn’t have to be overpowered by colour, and adding the texture of wood can create a customized yet warm, natural space. Layering textures such as flooring in a fun pattern can add some emphasis and much-desired depth to a bedroom space.
3. Wall decals are easy and fun. There are some spaces where we don’t want to commit to a specific personality, as it might be a temporary space like a guest room or office-turned-baby-room and we may want to change things up whenever the mood — or need — strikes. Wall decals from Urban Walls (urbanwalls.ca) are such a fun way to add some bold personality. Easy to install, easy to remove and no wall damaged in the process.
4. Paint is cost-effective to transform a space. If your personality is the non-committal type and a built-in headboard is too long-term, that’s fine. Paint is such an easy, quick and cost-effective way to transform a space, especially a bedroom. Use a block of colour to create a focal point and don’t be afraid of colour, especially a moody and dark hue that can cosy up a space. To add a little charm and sophistication, have fun with a weekend DIY project. Create a tailored feature by adding some panel moulding from Metrie. Paint the whole wall, baseboard and panel moulding trim all the same colour and finishing. Use this small investment to give an amazing prominence to your bed without making a large investment.
5. Take advantage of architectural details. It’s a simple way to add some unique personality to your bedroom. Installing wallpaper floor to ceiling and wrapping around all walls can make a space feel larger. If you use patterned wallpaper, select a key colour to play prominence within the rest of the room and if you are afraid of commitment, work with a natural pattern and add some colour with decor, pillows and other small furniture pieces. Utilizing colour, pattern and texture on the headboard feature is one of the easiest ways to bring some personality to any bedroom space.
Launched in 1990, RENO & DECOR is Canada’s Home Idea Book, inspiring readers with the latest in tips and trends for their decorating and renovating.