When you’re about to make a major window purchase, being knowledgeable about window components is important. Above is a diagram using a double hung window to highlight the different parts of a typical window. Other types of windows, such a picture window, might not have all these components or, in the case of a horizontal sliding window, might have slightly different components.
9 Parts of a Typical Window
- Head – The main horizontal member which forms the top of the window frame.
- Grids – You can make standard windows and doors extraordinary with the creative use of window grids. Additional exterior and interior grid options are available with some windows to better simulate real divided lites, while internal grids make cleaning a breeze both inside and out.
- Hardware – Depending on the type of window you purchase, you may have multiple options for the type of hardware. This can include window locks and operating handles (for casement and awning windows).
- Weather-stripping – Weather-stripping is essential to ensure efficient, weather tight seals for your windows.
- Insulated Glass – A combination of two or more panes of glass with a hermetically sealed air space between them. Optional inert gases like argon or krypton may be used between panes to further improve thermal performance and energy savings.
- Upper Sash – A single assembly of stiles (sides) and rails (top and bottom) made into a frame for holding insulated glass. Single and double hung windows have two sashes. The top sash is known as the Upper sash.
- Jamb – The window frame sections forming the top, sides and bottom of a window frame.
- Lower Sash – A single assembly of stiles (sides) and rails (top and bottom) made into a frame for holding insulated glass. Single and double hung windows have two sashes. The bottom sash is known as the Lower sash.
- Sill – The horizontal section (ledge) forming the bottom of the window frame
Discover High Quality Procanna Windows, Patio and Entry Doors available exclusively through Mitten by Ply Gem, a leading manufacturer and distributor of premium exterior building products.