Autumn is a wonderful time to add splashes of colour to your landscape design. Check out my top 10 easy plants for your fall garden.
Top 10 Plants for Fall
- Asters – You can choose native, annual or perennial asters for your fall garden and they come in a large variety of bold colours.
- Caryopteris – This small to medium sized shrub bursts with stunning light blue flowers in the late summer/fall that the pollinators love! A real eye catcher in the garden that is low maintenance and drought tolerant!
- Chrysanthemums (Mums) – The go-to flower for your fall containers and garden borders. They are also great decorations for your fall festivities and gatherings.
- Fall Blooming Crocus – Who knew that you could get crocus in the fall? These low maintenance bulbs will pop up in the fall to surprise you with their delicate blooms.
- Feather Reed Grass “Karl Foerster” – This grass may be a bit common on the landscape, but for good reason. This well behaved grass won’t take over your garden, instead you will get a lovely ornamental grass that shines in the fall, and stays upright all winter for some much needed drama in your garden.
- Joe Pye Weed – This is a tall native plant that prefers a bit of extra moisture and is a great source of food for bees and butterflies as they prepare for the winter.
- Ornamental Cabbage – These come in countless mixes of pink, white, purple, blue, yellow and various shades of green. Their intricate leaf structure brings its own wow factor for the fall season.
- Summer Phlox – Phlox provides a last splash of colour in the garden before fall hits. It is susceptible to powdery mildew so look for mildew resistant varieties.
- Sunflowers – Whether you are growing them from seed, or trying some of the native perennial varieties, these beauties will add height with big splashes of fall colour to your garden. Their seeds provide food for the birds well into the winter.
- Sedum “Autumn Joy” – A classic must-have for any garden! It does great in hot, dry situations, requires very little attention and once it is done blooming in the fall, the dead flowers and stalks hold up through the snow and ice, adding winter interest in your garden.
Frank Ferragine AKA “Frankie Flowers” is an award winning gardening expert and “weather specialist” on City’s morning show Breakfast Television in Toronto.
Connect with Bonded by eRenovate™ Pros by using the eRenovate Post My Project tool. Enjoy Peace of Mind with the eRenovate Guarantee which offers $25,000 Deposit Payment protection and 88 Day Workmanship Guarantee.