Tag

home maintenance

Browsing

Help Protect Your Family from Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Think you’re safe from CO poisoning? Think again. When a Toronto family was recently rushed to hospital for carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning, it was a stark reminder that the so-called ‘silent killer’ can strike any time, and hard. Two family members were already unconscious by the time emergency crews arrived. The reality is that carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning poses a serious threat: it’s the number one cause of accidental poisoning deaths in Canada. Even if it doesn’t kill you, it can cause brain damage or leave you with permanent health problems. Fortunately, the Toronto family was lucky: all three survived, despite levels close to 900 parts per million reported in their home, more than 30 times the norm. The cause? A leaky furnace. Furnaces, like anything else that burns fuel, including gas ovens, can produce CO. Chimneys blocked by squirrels’ nests or other debris have also been known to create…