As a homeowner, there’s arguably no greater thrill than planning out and seeing through to completion a home renovation project. Whether you’re just looking to change things up, update your home’s style, or getting ready to put your home on the market, it’s important to know the current and up and coming trends that will impact the re-model. With that in mind, let’s take a look at the various tile trends for 2020.
Tile Trends for 2020: Tile Styles
Here are a few of the emerging tile styles that are making waves for 2020.
- Aesthetic: If you haven’t spent a great deal of time looking into the different styles of tile available, you may be surprised to learn that there’s plenty to choose from that represent a far cry from the traditional tile. While a stone-fused aesthetic remains a strong choice for the foreseeable future, other textures resembling wood, concrete, marble, metal, and fabric are also worthy considerations. Several different techniques are used to create this different aesthetics, but inkjet technology, in particular, has been an invaluable tool in creating these hyper-realistic textures. Wire brushing is another popular technique used to artificially create naturally occurring textures found in wood and stone.
- Colours: In terms of colour options, the hot ticket right now appears to be those taking a more subtle approach. Watch for different greys, lights, whites, blondes, and high variations to take center stage. One great thing about choosing something on this end of the colour spectrum is that it allows accent colours and decor to truly pop in your space.
- Layout and Patterns: Wholesale tile distributors are stocking up on many different patterns of tile. Subway tiles and checkered tile options continue to be a popular choice for many homeowners, but tiles that display elaborate geometric shapes, mixed width, and chevrons are quickly increasing in popularity as they add considerable visual interest to surfaces that previously held none.
- Shapes and Sizes: While larger, wider tiles (measure 24 by 48 in. in some cases) are leading the charge into 2020, comparatively smaller styles like hexagon are also a chic, trendy option.
Tile Trends for 2020: Tile Themes
Here are the emerging tile themes to keep an eye on for the next year.
- Avant-garde: A modernist’s dream, the resurgence of the avant-garde theme uses geometric composition, intersecting shapes, and colours to create a bold, abstract look.
- Neon Pastels: Bright but not overpowering, neon pastels are a great way to create a soft, unique look in any room in your home. At the vanguard of this theme, you’ll find that Living Coral and Neo Mint colours to be making the greatest impact. Neon pastels offer a warm reprieve from the less enthusiastic neutral themes and blend modern technology with the natural world.
- New Deco: Art Deco saw its prominence fade midway through the 20th century. New Deco borrows the indulgent style of its roots, combining traditional rounded shapes and curved lines with angular patterns to create a more subdued, if not ever-present opulence.
- Ink Black: The application of the Ink Black theme won’t play as well universally in your home as some of the other styles, but this theme has been increasingly popular for bathroom renovation projects. Popularized in luxury spas and boutique hotels, the receding effect that black has on the human eye opens up the room rather than diminishing it.
- Artisanal Luxe: As a way to favour the uniqueness of handmade elements for the home rather than the mass-produced alternatives, this artisanal theme aims to bring the imperfections and character synonymous with one of a kind products. The focus of this theme is all about emphasizing individuality rather than the monotony of the other themes.
- Homestead: With relaxation and warmth at its core, this rustic theme is gaining popularity in homes far removed from the ranching lifestyle. Employing the colours and tones native to the great plains of the North American continent, the Homestead theme is inspired by nature and all of its accompanying organic forms. Inspect to come across rich pastel tones and deeply saturated shades.
By Sarana Tile | Produced by RENO & DECOR
Launched in 1990, RENO & DECOR is Canada’s Home Idea Book, inspiring readers with the latest in tips and trends for their decorating and renovating.
Connect with Bonded by eRenovate™ Pros by using the eRenovate Post My Project tool. Enjoy Peace of Mind with the eRenovate Guarantee which offers $25,000 Deposit Payment protection and 88 Day Workmanship Guarantee.