Toronto’s Home Energy Loan Program (HELP), a new financing tool offered by the City of Toronto to help you improve your home’s energy efficiency and save money, has been recognized by a 2016 Sustainable Cities Award from the Federation of Canadian Municipalities. The Awards recognize and promote successful municipal programs that improve sustainability.
Upgrading your insulation and replacing an old furnace are examples of cost-effective improvements – also called retrofits – that can cut your energy bills, improve home comfort and reduce harmful emissions to the environment. For many people, however, the high upfront cost of these improvements can be a barrier to taking action.
HELP Offers a Solution
Low interest loans are available to qualifying homeowners who are interested in improving the energy and water efficiency of their home. Through HELP, the City will provide the funding required to complete the improvements and the homeowner will repay the City over time through installments on their property tax bill.
The potential savings you may realize after completing your home energy retrofit will help to offset the cost of your monthly repayments to the City. And by making your home more energy efficient, you will be better protected against rising energy costs.
Five Benefits of HELP Financing
1. HELP allows you to avoid the large upfront cost of home energy improvements and pay for them over time.
2. HELP financing is attached to the property, not to the property owner. If you sell the property before the loan is repaid, the new owner will assume the balance of the loan and continue to repay it through the property tax bill.
3. You may pay off your HELP loan at any time, without penalty.
4. You benefit from low interest rates and longer repayment terms, compared to conventional financing.
5. You can take advantage of incentives to reduce the cost of your projects. An incentive of up to $650 is available from Toronto Hydro for replacing your furnace and air conditioner with high efficiency units. An incentive up to $1,600 is available from the Home Energy Conservation (HEC) Program to qualified homeowners. Please contact the HELP team for more information at email@example.com or 416-392-1826.
Before beginning an energy efficiency project, the program staff encourage homeowners to visit the City of Toronto website to learn about how they can apply. The application process is simple, and the staff team is available to provide guidance throughout the process.
Thinking of upgrading your insulation or replacing an old furnace? Post Your Project to easily describe your home improvement needs and connect with Verified by eRenovate™ contractors who will provide you with ballpark estimates.